Visitors

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Lay's Do Us A Flavor Chips Review

What? A review on chips?? What happened to you?!?


Well, to be honest, I actually had another post in the works reviewing new (at that time) flavors of Triscuit crackers, but I supposed I waited too long and didn't get to it in the end. Also, they aren't nearly as intriguing or eye-catching as these new Lay's Do Us A Flavor chips that have been catching all the buzz. I guess I'm a little late to the party to these too >_>

Let's start with the Cappuccino one, since that's what you probably came here to read about.

With no specific cut or cooking method, the Cappuccino Lay's have a regular potato chip base, just like the ones you'd find in, well, a regular bag of Lay's. However, these are definitely way less salted and have a slightly sweet taste. As for the coffee flavor, it's not too strong but it does come off as coffee as opposed to anything else. Like what? I don't know. Coconut oil? Cinnamon? Gasoline? (Not gasoline.)


Overall, I would give these chips a thumbs up! This might be because I have an insane sweet tooth, and I'm that type of person who dips their fries into ice-cream. My mom, on the other hand, is not the biggest fan of sweet and salty combinations; however, she didn't seem to mind these. Wait - it's probably because she's a coffee addict. I had my friends try these too and I received mixed results - some adored them, others were confused. In the end, I would repurchase to mix into cookies and brownies - I can see these being great components in baked goods. YES.

-

Next up, Mango Salsa. To be quite honest, I don't know what I was expecting. A few weeks ago, I finished up a jar of mango salsa that was slowly reaching its expiration date, so that must have been the reason why this appealed to me. I am curious of the result of dipping these chips into mango salsa.


One thing I don't understand - why choose Wavy Lay's for these? The only thing I have against wavy chips is that sometimes they're so big I can't shove them in my mouth (twss). As for the flavor, the mango is fairly mild. It doesn't seem as though the mango taste is in the seasoning powder (even though it probably is and that's just me going insane), but you can taste it and it's there. (P.S. - If you've ever heard of The Nosh Show, the people that run that podcast have recently reviewed them and Ryan could seriously not have explained it any better.) The flavor reminds me of a mango gummy candy rather than real mango, although some may disagree. I get no salsa taste from these. Overall, not awful, but I wouldn't repurchase these. Plus, these were my least favorite. :c

-

Wasabi Ginger is up next. I passed by them the day before I picked these up because I 1. am not the biggest fan of wasabi and 2. am not the biggest fan spicy things. Imagine my surprise when I tried them - it turns out I really like these! Upon first bite, you are hit HARD with intense wasabi flavor. However, unlike sticking a glob of wasabi in your mouth, the spiciness dissipates and thankfully doesn't burn the hell out of your mouth. That is probably the main reason why I like these: the flavor keeps it interesting and doesn't numb my mouth after having a chip. Verdict: Fave.

-

Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese. The flavor that will probably win, sadly. "Sadly?!?!" you shout, "These sound awesome!!!". I'm eh about these. I feel like we already have so many cheese and bacon themed chips in the market already; do we really need more? In my opinion, these weren't exemplary. Of course, they weren't horrible - how can you hate bacon or cheese? Compared to the other flavors, these just seemed so flat and dull.

Pictured: Some pretty orange chips

These chips are pretty cheese powder-y and have a slight bacon aroma - not unlike other bacon flavored chips (think cheddar bacon potato skins from TGI Fridays., if you've had them). Since I had these last, these were underwhelming to me and I kinda sorta hope they don't win. Sorry Matt Allen.

Alright, final results. If I had to list these in order of most to least favorite:
1. Wasabi Ginger
2. Cappucino
3. Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese
4. Mango Salsa

However, if I were to recommend these to a friend, I would switch #1 and #2, because I like making my friends feel uncomfortable and confused. Anyway, if you tried these, feel free to tell me what you thought!

[P.S. - I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture of the chips themselves. I AM DUMB. Hopefully I'll get around to buying more to photograph >_>)

Update: I got photos! No Wasabi Ginger though noooooooooooo!!!! I don't know how but they all went missing and I can't find any at the stores I've visited? I hardly believe somebody (that isn't me) is buying all of them. Hope they didn't toss them.

Pictured: On the left, each chip individually. Top to Bottom: Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese, Cappuccino, Mango Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment