Visitors

Monday, August 25, 2014

Pies and Thighs

Like many other food places, this has been on my "must-try" places FOREVER.


166 S 4th St
Brooklyn, NY 11211
b/t Bedford Ave & Driggs Ave 

Neighborhood: Williamsburg - South Side
www.piesnthighs.com/
 
First of all, fabulous name. Do they mean thighs as in chicken thighs? Or do they mean thighs as in the ones that are a part of your legs that will probably expand after having their pie? The world may never know.

Secondly, COMFORT FOOD. Who doesn't like feeling all warm (even though it was spring/summer when I went) and cozy from good food? Nobody. That's who.

Thankfully for my good friends, I got to drag them here upon request for my birthday lunch.

Pictured: Outside; sign pointing to entrance.






Pictured: Interior - smaller than I expected. Also, school chairs.

I don't know why, but I was semi-expecting this place to be big and diner-like. Rather, it was small and compact, but still had a home-y feeling. Plus, they used school chairs. Help.

Note, this isn't a very prestigious 5-star you-need-to-dress-up kind of place. Very casual, as you can plainly see.

Pictured: Menus and Facts
 
FINALLY, let's talk food. Although I so badly wanted to get chicken and waffles, I didn't, knowing fully well that I would probably not finish it. Not finishing food is not at all a fun experience, as I'm sure is the same with many others. Watching an unfinished plate being taken away from you is almost the same as seeing your children being drafted to the war. KIDDING.

 Pictured: Chicken Biscuit. YUM.

Instead, I (and my friend) got a Chicken Biscuit, described on the menu to be a "crispy chicken cutlet on a buttermilk biscuit slathered in hot sauce and honey butter". It was big enough to fill my stomach but not so big that I wanted to have a food baby. In short: melty butter, a little tough chicken, chewy biscuit.

Silly me forgot to ask for no hot sauce, so I was a bit hesitant to dig in. However, the hot sauce was very mild - enough for me to handle it without crying, thankfully. I recommend leaving the hot sauce on to add some interest. Yay spicy things that serve their purpose!

Pictured: Grilled Cheese with Fries

 So another friend got grilled cheese. I didn't have any but I'm sure it was standard - not terrible but not anything to write home about. I don't know what her opinion was on it, but she wasn't able to finish it because she has a small stomach. As for the fries, it came in abundance. thus, there was a lot that went cold and uneaten. Truly a sad story.

 
Pictured: Fried Chicken Box with Fries 
Next up, a very big plate of food. Yet,again, this friend could not finish. It came with a plethora of fries too (you pick a side) as well as biscuits. I would only recommend this to those who are going to share, are extremely hungry or have the munchies. Not being an expert on fried chicken, I can't really critique this dish.


Pictured: Mac 'N' Cheese 

I only ordered one side of mac and cheese and shared my friend. It was very cheese-y (duh???) and creamy. It wasn't magnificent like Mac Bar or S'Mac because it isn't meant to be super fancy. It was plain and simple, but still damn delicious. Mac and cheese is always good, though. The hot sauce splattered on top seems to be the same as the hot sauce in my chicken biscuit.


Pictured: Lemon Chess Pie with Poached Blueberries

Okay, pie time. I got a lemon chess pie to-go, since I wanted to savor it. I absolutely love the lemon and blueberry combo. I am just now realizing, many months later, that I didn't get whipped cream with the pie. Oh well, I clearly didn't notice, it was still good.

On a side note, I tried putting the box in my friend's pocket to prove that men's pants pockets are about 5 times biggger than women's pockets and I was right BECAUSE THE WHOLE BOX FIT. Another note,  I apparently didn't properly close the blueberry container so I unfortunately got to eat messy pie. As said before, still good.

A few words to leave you with:
  • Get a pie because you need it
  • I recommend the chicken and biscuits
  • Mac and Cheese is good, but not extraordinary
  • Go ASAP!

 
Pictured: Swagalicious

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment